Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Gardening and Growth


It has been way too long since I have posted anything new (that is not a reflection of our life being boring). We have been gardening, enjoying our girls, having fun with friends, and keeping busy with the daily things of life.
Our most exciting venture as of late, has been our garden. For months Elizabeth asked each day if it was time to plant our vegetables. I had to say "No not yet." way too many times for her little mind. But finally one day I got to say, "Yes, today we will plant vegetables!!"
It was a family project and so fun to see the girls, especially Elizabeth, so excited about the garden.
I think as I parent longer I find more joys (and of course trials too) in watching my girls grow. What has hit me lately is what a joy it is to see our kids enjoy the things we do. Whenever we drive, Elizabeth notices the beautiful mountains. When we finish dinner in the evening, the girls love to go on a walk. One of Elizabeth's favorite games is playing camping (for some reason we always have to pretend we are Kristi's family when we play this game!!). Anyway, it is just neat to see little Nates and Katies growing up(yes a little scary sometimes, but still fun).

Along with watching our girls grow the Lord is growing me. I don't know about you but is seems whenever He wants to stretch us a bit it can be hard and sometimes hurt. This has been a hard year for me in many ways but I know that it is all part of a process of growing me. I am so thankful for Jesus and his love of me. He pursues me and longs to have a relationship with me. There are times that is seems so hard to keep my relationship with Jesus real and growing but in those times I can just call on him, tell him that it is hard, and rest, knowing that He will come to me and give me everything I need to find him. This 'knowing Christ' is not a head thing, it is a heart thing. It is believing in my very core that He is who he says he is and that I am who he says I am. Simple, yet so profound and life changing - life giving!

So, to all of us out there who love to watch things grow...may He who is able to do more than we could ask or imagine, give you a time of growth - whether it be in your heart, your children, your spouse, or your garden (that prayer is specifically for you Tam!).

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Fun to see pictures and follow your blog. I can't believe it has been so long. I just heard about the tornado in your area and thought of you guys. I hope everyone is okay!

Drew and Carrie said...

can i just say AGAIN how much we love your girls! wish we had been there helping with the garden, looks like fun. we'll be doing ours this weekend!

Emily said...

Awww...this is so sweet Katie. I'm excited that God is growing things in you and your whole family. I think He has a grown a lot in me this year too.

I'm also excited for the girls to see Grandma and Grandpa's garden this summer!!!